Man-Tra-Con Corporation is working with a local employer to fill the
Job Title: Youth Career Specialist
Location: Mt. Vernon, Illinois
Salary: $25,000 to $35,000 per year, D.O.E.
Man-Tra-Con Corporation is seeking candidates for a Youth Career Specialist position to primarily serve the Jefferson County area. Candidates MUST live within a 25-mile radius from Mt. Vernon city limits. Candidate will assist WIOA eligible youth in finding the appropriate services needed to remove barriers to employment and education, plus help youth obtain educational and employment opportunities. The Youth Career Specialist position will report to the Youth Program Administrator.
This full-time position is based upon a 35-hour work week. Excellent benefits include medical, dental, vision, 401K, pension, paid holidays and leave time.
- Interviews individuals to compile information on work history, education level, money management and barriers to employment.
- Conducts appropriate assessments to determine if customer has educational level required to successfully complete programs or enter certain occupations.
- Refers individuals to public or private agencies and community services for assistance as needed.
- Maintains contact with customers and prepares progress notes toward meeting employment and/or training goals.
- Conducts follow up with customers who obtain employment to ensure job retention by offering further assistance as needed.
- Reviews customer resumes and help to identify problem areas.
- Prepares effective resumes for job seeking customers.
- Assists and instructs customer with posting resume on various job bank databases.
- Reviews job openings listed in Illinois Job Link, Illinois Worknet, etc. and makes appropriate referrals to job ready customers.
- Assists with the preparation of forms for determining eligibility for services.
- Documents and verifies information provided by customers.
- Inputs customer data into required customer database in a timely manner.
- Maintains records and prepares reports for monitors or management concerning visits with customers.
- Ensures that Personal Identifiable Information (PII) is protected in accordance with policy and procedures.
- Understands current labor market trends and expectations.
- Plans and conducts orientation events to promote WIOA services.
- Participates in outreach and recruitment activities such as attending job fairs and other community events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Training
- Bachelor's degree — from a post-secondary institution or a combination of post-secondary education and applicable work experience required.
- Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language — Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Attention to Detail — Excellent organizational skills, excellent customer service skills, a calm, professional, friendly and patient manner.
- Desktop Computer Skills:
- Spreadsheets — Using a computer application to enter, manipulate, and format text and numerical data; insert, delete, and manipulate cells, rows, and columns; and create and save worksheets, charts, and graphs.
- Presentations — Using a computer application to create, manipulate, edit, and show virtual slide presentations.
- Internet — Navigating the Internet to find information, including the ability to open and configure standard browsers; use searches, hypertext references, and transfer protocols; and send and retrieve electronic mail (e-mail).
- Navigation — Using scroll bars, a mouse, and dialog boxes to work within the computer's operating system. Being able to access and switch between applications and files of interest.
- Word Processing — Using a computer application to type text, insert pictures, format, edit, print, save, and retrieve word processing documents.
- Databases — Using a computer application to manage large amounts of information, including creating and editing simple databases, inputting data, retrieving specific records, and creating reports to communicate the information.
- Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking — Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking — Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing — Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Licenses and certifications
A valid driver's license and proper vehicle insurance is required.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Expected Hours of Work
This is a full time position. Normal operating days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm.
Travel within Local Workforce Area #25 (Franklin, Jackson, Jefferson, Perry and Williamson Counties) will be required in addition to occasional travel outside the workforce and the immediate southern Illinois area. Occasional overnight travel may be required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands and fingers to type or handle documents. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to travel and attend meetings as needed. Participation in offered training opportunities is encouraged.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general duties as necessary to describe the principle functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of the responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload. All duties of this position are to be performed while adhering to Management, Training and Consulting Corporation's policies and procedures. This document describes the position as it is currently. It is not an employment contract. Our corporation reserves the right to modify job duties or job descriptions at any time.
How to Apply
This employment opportunity is available at no cost to you!
To apply for this position, please email a resume with cover letter to DelorisHamilton@mantracon.org. Please include "Youth Career Specialist Jefferson County" in the subject line.
Friday, August 7, 2015, or until position is filled.
Back to main job listing...